For Sale: Imperiled Buildings
The following listings have been submitted to Landmarks Illinois and represent buildings for sale of historic interest. Please contact the listing owner and not Landmarks regarding any of the buildings. Landmarks Illinois disclaims any responsibility for statements made by the sellers.
1918 estate, Main House and Coach House, built by architect David Adler. The estate has no landmark protection and is vulnerable as a tear down sale. However, the Libertyville Historic Preservation Commission would be willing to evaluate it for local landmark designation, which could enable a buyer to utilize the property tax assessment freeze as part of a qualified rehabilitation. Learn More ...
This Keck and Keck-designed mid-century home for sale has no landmark protection and could be targeted as a tear-down. According to a recent article by the Lake Forest Preservation Foundation, the 1950s-era Fagen/McMahon house is “arguably one of Lake Forest's most architecturally significant examples of mid-century modern design.” Learn More ...
Ela Road and Algonquin Road, Hoffman Estates
Update: The Hoffman Estates Village Board has extended the RFP deadline to March 2016. The Village of Hoffman Estates is seeking someone to take ownership, rehabilitate, and reuse the Bergman Farmhouse (ca. 1900) located at the northwest corner of Ela Road and Algonquin Road. The farmhouse includes Victorian and Arts & Crafts detailing and is one of the last remaining historic farmhouses in northwestern Cook County. The farmstead remained in the Bergman family since the 1850s until recently when it was sold to a residential developer. The house has been set aside adjacent to a public park, while the remainder of the farm property is being developed into single family homes. The Village is seeking an interested party to rehabilitate and preserve the house and will consider any reasonable proposal for its use. A Request for Proposal has been issued, which can be downloaded, along with site plans, floor plans, photos, historical assessment, existing conditions report, and other information at the Village website: www.hoffmanestates.org/bergman.
Chicago City-Owned Historic Buildings For Sale
City of Chicago Department of Housing and Economic Development (HED) department listing of city-owned historic properties available for acquisition. Learn More ...
Also, for more information, contact: Cindy Roubik at 312-744-3038.
Chicago Baptist Institute
5120 S. King Drive, Chicago
Designed by Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge, architects of Chicago Cultural Center and Art Institute of Chicago, in 1898 for the Chicago Orphan Asylum Building, the Colonial Revival-style building has housed the Chicago Baptist Institute since 1957. The building was home to the Parkway Community Foundation, a noted Bronzeville community and arts center, in the 1940s and 50s. The building was designated a Chicago Landmark in 2009. Learn More ...
Tryon Grove Farm
8914 Tryon Grove Road, Wonder Lake
The residence of Captain Charles Hopkins Tryon until circa 1900 is an outstanding example of cross-gabled bracketed Italianate architecture. Charles Hopkins Tryon was the eldest son of Bela and Harriet Tryon who established the farmstead in 1837. Bela was the first postmaster of Hebron and Harriet named Hebron Township. The Tryon Grove Farm was the first County-designated landmark. The current owners have restored the house and outbuildings. Learn More ...
Maywood Home for Soldiers’ Widows
224 N. First Ave., Maywood
The Village of Maywood is seeking a developer/purchaser to rehabilitate and reuse this historic 1924 Georgia Revival style structure on a prime corner for redevelopment. Originally designed for soldiers’ widows of the Civil War but vacant since 2003, this building was included on Landmarks Illinois’ “Ten Most Endangered” list for 2012. Landmarks Illinois recently completed a reuse study for the building that recommends its redevelopment with adjacent village-owned vacant land. For more information, contact assistant village manager David Myers, at (708) 450-6301.
16 South Illinois St., Belleville
Listed on Landmarks Illinois’ Ten Most Endangered Historic Places in 2014, the Hotel Belleville is a prominent 1931 Art Deco building on Belleville’s Public Square. The hotel, designed by the St. Louis firm of Manske & Bartling, sold in 1962 to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Belleville for use as a retirement home. In 2010, the City of Belleville purchased the building and subsequently accepted a donation to create a memorial garden on the site, requiring its demolition. A local citizens group formed and has temporarily delayed demolition while the City explores rehabilitation options. As a result, the City of Belleville is currently seeking respondents to a Request for Proposals for the Redevelopment of the building. Also, see Project Belleville for information.
U.S. Marine Hospital
1304 Park Avenue, Galena
Listed on Landmarks Illinois’ 2014 Ten Most Endangered Historic Places in Illinois, the U.S. Marine Hospital is for sale as part of eleven acres of land in Galena. Constructed in 1859 as part of a nationally significant federal health care initiative for United States sailors, this is one of only two pre-Civil War marine hospitals remaining on the inland waterway system. The other example is in Kentucky and has been designated a National Historic Landmark. Learn More ...
908 Ridge Street, Galena
This 1840 brick farmhouse in Galena is available for sale. Previously operating as a bed and breakfast, the building was featured in Better Homes and Gardens in 1995. Learn More ...
500 Main Street, Peoria
The City of Peoria and the Comfort family, owners of the historic Madison Theater (a LI 2013 Ten Most Endangered Historic Places listing), are issuing a Request for Interest and Qualifications (RFI) for the renovation of the theater and potential new construction on the adjacent, City-owned parking lot. The RFI is the first step of a two step process: The RFI will cast a wide net to discover the interest of the development community in the project. Firms will be asked to provide a project concept, financial framework and the qualifications of the team. A selection committee comprised of the City personnel and the Comfort family will narrow the list of interested parties to two or three finalists who will be invited to submit a full development proposal.
925 N. Sheridan Road, Lake Bluff
This Modernist masterpiece was designed by Keck & Keck, a preeminent firm of the era. The Blair House has been widely published, both from the time of its construction in 1955, as well as in numerous books on the work of Keck & Keck and modern architecture. It was forward-thinking in its use of sustainable technologies, such as double-glazing and radiant heat. With no protection in place the Blair House is highly vulnerable to demolition to make way for new construction. The property is currently list to LI’s Ten Most Endangered Historic Places. Learn More ...
91 N. Cora, Fox Lake
The owners listed the hotel and surrounding 17 acres of lakefront property on eBay this week for $2 million. The wood frame building was built in 1884 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. It was a weekend getaway for Al Capone and other gangsters. It is located half way between Chicago & Milwaukee, thirty miles west of Lake Michigan. Learn More ...
4 N Vermilion St., Danville
Downtown Danville, Inc., the City of Danville and Vermilion County are seeking developers interested in reusing this 1918, 12-story building designed by Mundie and Jensen. Bresee Tower is located in a TIF district and in an Enterprise Zone and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Inquiries or proposals may be sent for review to: Dana Schaumburg, Executive Director, Downtown Danville, Inc., 149 N. Vermilion St., Danville, IL 61832, (217) 443-3886; Linda Bolton, Director of Business Dev., Vermilion Advantage, 28 W North St., Danville, IL 61832, (217) 442-6201 or John Dreher, Community Development Mgr., City of Danville, 17 W Main St., Danville, IL 61832, (217) 431-2329. Learn More ...
Western Military Academy
2009 Seminary Road, Alton
This former military academy campus in Alton’s Upper Alton Historic District retains the original 1903 Administration Building. A grassroots group, Save Western, is working to find an appropriate owner and reuse for the campus and its original buildings. Learn More ...
Foley-Rice Cadillac Dealership
644 & 711 Madison Street, Oak Park
The building at 644 was listed to the Landmarks Illinois 2007-08 Chicagoland Watch List. This 1923 building, designed by E.E. Roberts with his son Elmer, has no landmark protection. Originally built as a Packard dealership (Hill Motor Sales Co.), it was the last auto dealership on Oak Park’s “Motor Row.” For sale details, view the pdf.
ADDITIONAL HISTORIC PROPERTIES INFORMATION
Photo: Maywood Home for Soldiers’ Widows, Maywood (credit: Laura Lang)