home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ARCHIVE  >> 

 
     
     
 

Foley-Rice Cadillac Dealership
644-46 Madison Street, Oak Park
(E.E. and Elmer Roberts, 1923)

 

 
   
 

 

This distinctive commercial property on west Madison Street, known today as the Foley-Rice Cadillac Dealership, is for sale. The building has no landmark protection, and while the village has an easement on the building requiring the owner to retain the building as a premium auto dealership until 2012, the owner is seeking to buy out the easement which leaves the building vulnerable to demolition.

 

Originally built as a Packard dealership (Hill Motor Sales Co.), it is the last auto dealership on Oak Park’s “Motor Row.” It was identified in 2006 in a Madison Street Architectural Survey as a potential Oak Park Historic Landmark, and is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. The building was designed by E.E. Roberts with his son Elmer, who became a partner in his father’s firm in 1924. The Madison Street survey was done as part of the Madison Street Corridor Plan, which stated that significant buildings should receive a higher level of scrutiny when redevelopment is proposed.

 

Update

 

Oak Leaves April 15 2010

 
     
 

  INFORMATION

 
For more information contact: Doug Kaarre, Urban Planner/Historic Preservation, Village of Oak Park, 123 Madison Street, Oak Park, IL 60302 Tel (708) 358-5417

 
     

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.