7148 S. Dorchester Avenue, Chicago
(Joseph Molitor, 1911)
Closed by the Archdiocese of Chicago in 2002 as part of a parish
consolidation plan, the St. Laurence parish served its South Shore community
for 118 years. The church and rectory, built in 1911, are part of larger
complex of properties that also include a school and convent.
In 2005 the complex was purchased by Eden Independent Living, which hoped to
carry out a plan, approved by the city’s Plan Commission, to replace the
school with a supportive living facility. It also hoped to find a compatible
use for the church and rectory. The community subsequently objected to the
plan, which has since been put on hold indefinitely.