home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 12  Archive  >>

 
     
     
 

Guaranty Bank & Trust

6760 S. Stony Island,
Chicago

 

This 1923 Classical Revival bank building is located on a busy commercial street near the southwest corner of Jackson Park. At the time of their construction, 1920s bank buildings were typically the most monumental structures in the neighborhood. The solid forms borrowed from ancient Greek architecture were meant to convey a sense of permanence and stability to the bank’s clients during a time of financial uncertainty.

 
 

 

With the advent of drive-thru banking, pedestrian-oriented “Main Street” banks were abandoned in favor of large corner lots with convenient automobile access. Often seen by commuters en route to the Chicago Skyway, this former bank building has been vacant for two decades. According to the Chicago Department of Planning and Development, the City has acquisition authority for the property, but is not pursuing condemnation and does not have any plans for the property. The last known owner had purchased historic properties in the past, but never completed a large-scale restoration project. The alderman is supportive of reuse proposals and preservationists are hopeful that a sensitive owner will rescue the building from further deterioration.

 

  What Can I Do? Express your concern about the uncertain future of this prominent and unprotected building. Contact Alderman Leslie Hairston, 5th Ward, 1900 E. 71st St., Chicago, IL 60649 / LHairston@cityofchicago.org.

 

Photography: Lee Bey

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.