home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Archive  >>

 
     
     
 

Union Station
Jackson and Canal streets, Chicago

 

Union Station, which was designed in 1925 by Graham Anderson Probst & White, is one of the few remaining grand railway stations in the United States. Its “Great Hall” contains a large waiting room with a high-vaulted skylight, marble floors and walls, and monumental Corinthian columns. An earlier development proposal, which was approved by LPCI, called for construction of a single-tower addition that would be compatible with Burnham’s original design intent. Recent discussions, however, with another developer, have called for a twin-tower design that could compromise interior spaces and the integrity of exterior of the building. The building is a designated Chicago Landmark.

 
 

 

 

  What Can I Do? Urge the Chicago Department of Planning and Development to reject a proposed twin-tower addition in favor of an earlier proposal that would have replicated the building’s original single-tower design, thus preserving the integrity of both the exterior and the Great Hall. (Denise Casalino is DPD’s Commissioner; her address is City Hall, Room 1000, 121 N. LaSalle St., Chicago, IL 60601.) Please send a copy of this letter to the Commission on Chicago Landmarks, 33 N. LaSalle St., Room 1600, Chicago, IL 60602.

 

 

 

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.