home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  ARCHIVE  >> 

 
     
     
 

Restoration
E. M. West House and Grounds
627 St. Louis St.
Edwardsville
 
 

 
   
 

 

This Italianate house, located 30 miles northeast of St. Louis, was constructed in 1858 for E.M. West, a delegate to the 1848 Illinois Constitutional Convention who was instrumental in securing Edwardsville as the county seat. In 1940, the lot was re-zoned for business use. The house was expanded with a large one-story rear addition and converted into a funeral home. Much of the original grounds were paved over for parking and accessibility ramps were attached to the original front porch. After the property was vacated in 2004, the owners of a neighboring Walter Burley Griffin-designed residence purchased the house to ensure it would not be demolished for commercial development. Over the next 2-1/2 years, the new owners returned the structure to its 1860s appearance by rebuilding and recasting ornamental elements on both the interior and exterior.

Alterations from the first floor’s use as a funeral parlor were reversed, a hidden fireplace was unveiled behind 1950s cabinets, and paint analysis helped recreate period finishes. To complete the deconversion back to a single family house, the asphalt parking lot was torn out and the grounds fully restored. It is now once again a jewel of the city’s local landmark district.

 

Photos: Rich Berry

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.