home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ARCHIVE 

 
     
     
 
 

Rehabilitation

Wigell-Carlson Residence Rockford

 

This 1908 Prairie-style residence, constructed one mile north of downtown, is easily recognizable to many local residents. While the primary façade faces a highly-traveled city street, the rear elevation overlooks a public recreational path along the Rock River. After 1985, this house and a neighboring property sat vacant for over ten years in the hands of a neglectful owner intent on clearing the site for a parking lot. During that time, original ornament was sold for salvage and ruptured water pipes ruined the plasterwork. In 1998, a local foundation purchased both houses to prevent their demolition, set up offices in one and solicited rehabilitation proposals for the Wigell house.

 
 

 

The winning proposal was by a local resident with prior restoration experience who wished to maintain the house as a single family residence. Lathe and plaster were fully replaced, millwork was carefully refinished, salvaged items were returned to their original locations and period finishes were used throughout. A sensitive rear addition provides outdoor river views without negatively impacting the house’s historic integrity. As part of the project, a local lending institution provided a significant renovation loan and the local newspaper ran a lead editorial praising the work and the positive community impact of historic preservation. 

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.