Krause Music Store
This fanciful two-story commercial building is a standout of the Lincoln
Square commercial district. Architect Louis Sullivan was in a personal and
professional decline when he designed the façade of this building in concert
with William Presto.
Completed in 1922, this Chicago Landmark was Sullivan’s final commission
before his death two years later. His signature foliate design wraps around
the storefront and above the roofline to a wreathed medallion. When the
current owners acquired the building in 2005, the green terra cotta façade
had been inappropriately cleaned and several of the individual units were in
need of repair.