home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ARCHIVE  >> 

 
     
     
 

Adaptive Use
Chicago & Northwestern Railway Powerhouse
Chicago

 

 
   
 

 

Designed by the architectural firm of Frost & Granger, this 1911 Beaux Arts structure is located immediately north of the Ogilvie Transportation Center alongside the Metra commuter railroad tracks. For the first half of the 20th century it housed coal-fired generators that powered the Northwestern railroad terminal (demolished, 1981). The powerhouse was vacated after 1960 and languished for 40 years until it was purchased for redevelopment in 2003.

The 35,000 sq. ft. building is capped by a 200-foot smokestack and punctuated by large arched windows at track level, which have all been replicated as part of the building’s conversion. In order to create enough rentable space, three floors were added to the vaulted interior and the structural frame was buffered from train vibrations, since portions of the building lie directly under the rail tracks. The owners credit existing local and federal tax incentives for the success of the project, without which the redevelopment of this local landmark would have never been realized.

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.