home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ARCHIVE  >> 

 
     
     
   

Dome Restoration

Old McLean County Courthouse  Bloomington

 

The towers and domes of county courthouses are visual landmarks in town squares across the state.  One such structure is the old McLean County Courthouse, which was designed in 1903 by Reeves & Baillie.  This stately Neo-Classical building served as the county courthouse until a new Government Center was completed in 1976.   General county offices were housed in the building until 1990,

 
 

when it was converted into museum space for the McLean County Historical Society. In 2002, based on the findings of an historic structures report, the county approved a $1.2 million renovation, including restoration of the 100-year-old dome. 

 

Original copper ornament was salvaged and reused, as were portions of the limestone base.  The clock and its mechanisms were brought into working order and, on Christmas Eve 2004, the tower bell rang out for the first time in nearly a half a century. 

 

Photo Credits: Ed Gerns

 

 

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.