home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ARCHIVE  >> 

 
     
     
 

President’s Award

Dempster Street Station,
Skokie

 

When this 80-year-old Prairie-style train station appeared on LPCI’s “Ten Most” list in 1995, it was in disrepair and bore the marks of several insensitive alterations. Plans for a new transportation center were calling for its demolition. In response to the concerns of preservationists, the village

 
 

agreed to lease an adjacent lot to developers interested in relocating the building. In 2002, two local developers joined forces to move the building—120 feet—and adapt it for retail use. Later additions were removed and a painstaking exterior restoration was completed using original documents. This architectural showpiece now serves as the anchor for a transit-oriented mixed-use development surrounding the terminus of the Skokie Swift “L” line.

 

 

 

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.