home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  MAP  >> 

 
     
     
 

Church of the Resurrection

IL Rte 59 & Garys Mill Road, West Chicago
(Edward Dart, 1963)

 

 
   
 

 

Significance: Episcopal Church of the Resurrection is an excellent example of a small-scale religious structure designed by Edward Dart, one of Chicago’s pre-eminent mid-20th century architects of modern design. Built in 1963, the church has a simple barn-like form with four corner piers supporting a steeply pitched wood-shingle roof. Designed to mimic an old mill which once stood on the property, the building sits nestled within the sloping landscape abutting the DuPage River. The late Rev. Michael Komechak, a leading authority on Edward Dart’s work, stated, “…the church commands immediate admiration because of its strong geometric forms wedded to a beautiful natural setting.”

 

Current Condition and/or Status: The Church of the Resurrection is structurally sound but has been vacant and for sale for almost two years. The building has undergone only minor changes since its construction. The wood-shingle roof appears to be in good condition and the windows are all intact. The Episcopal Diocese of Chicago, which currently owns the property, has listed the building and surrounding 3.8 acres for sale at $1.2 million.

 

Potential Threat: West Chicago has a preservation ordinance, but local officials and the preservation commission have not expressed interest in seeking landmark designation for the building. In the last two years, numerous Edward Dart-designed buildings have been demolished, threatened, or severely altered, including Emmanuel Presbyterian Church in Chicago’s Pilsen neighborhood, Dart’s own house in Barrington, and a 1972 addition to the Lorado Taft studio at the University of Chicago.

 

What You Can Do: Contact West Chicago’s Historic Preservation Commission and mayor and urge them to evaluate the building for local landmark designation.  Encourage them to work with potential purchasers to consider adaptive-reuse proposals for the church.

  • Mayor Michael Kwasman: City of West Chicago, 475 Main Street., West Chicago, IL 60185; mkwasman@westchicago.org

  • Chairperson, Janet Dayton Hale, West Chicago Historical Preservation Commission, and City of West Chicago Preservation Director, LuAnn Bombard: (630) 231-3376; lbombard@westchicago.org

Other Contacts: Interested buyers should contact:

  • David Shallow, ReMax Professionals Select: (630) 615-2870; 2272 95th Street, Suite 200 Naperville, IL 60564

Photos: 1, 2, 6 historic views, Ezra Stoller [photographer], Reverend Michael Komechak Collection; 3 church 2009, ReMax Realtor, 4, 5 church 2009
 

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.