home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  MAP  >> 

 
     
     
 

South Side Masonic Temple

6400 S. Green St. Chicago
(Clarence Hatzfeld, 1921)

 

 
   
 

 

Significance: This seven-story Classical Revival-style building—fronted by three-story-tall columns—is a prominent landmark in the Englewood neighborhood. It was built as a clubhouse and auditorium for a fraternal organization, which occupied the building through the 1950s. Its six meeting rooms and auditoriums are ornamented in a variety of styles, including Art Deco, Beaux Arts Classical, Egyptian Revival, and Islamic Revival. It was designed by the architect of many of Chicago’s park fieldhouses including Gompers, Greenbriar, Independence, Indian Boundary, Jefferson, Portage, Revere, and River parks. The building is orange-rated (second highest level of architectural significance) in the Chicago Historic Resources Survey.

 

Current Condition and/or Status: After a failed effort in the late 1990s to redevelop the building as an alternative high school for at-risk teens, the building was purchased by a private developer hoping to do a residential or office conversion – a project that has never come to fruition. Although vacant for over two decades, the concrete-frame building remains structurally stable. This summer, after loose bricks fell off the building, scaffolding was constructed around it to protect pedestrians. Water infiltration and falling bricks continue to be a problem.

 

Potential Threat: If a renovation is not planned soon, the building’s deteriorating state will further threaten its opportunity for reuse. The city’s building court is monitoring the structure for building code violations.

 

What You Can Do: Inform the local alderman that this historic Masonic Temple is an important part of the architectural history of the Englewood community and to work with the owner and city officials to help find a solution.

Photo 1: David Schalliol

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.