home

 about us  online store  download forms  join us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

<<  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  MAP  >> 

 
     
     
 

Lincoln-Fullerton Streetscape

2358, 2360-64, 2365, and 2380 N. Lincoln
700 and 701 W. Fullerton, Chicago
(c.1887-1932)

 

 
   
 

 

Significance: This grouping of late-19th and early-20th century buildings, all but one of which are owned by Children’s Memorial Hospital (CMH), consists of two distinctive “flatiron” shaped terra cotta buildings, two Victorian-era retail structures and two early hospital buildings. Together, they form cohesive streetscapes along Lincoln and Fullerton Avenues and anchor the highly prominent six-corner intersection of Fullerton, Halsted and Lincoln in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. The hospital structures at Fullerton and Orchard mark a transition from the commercial character of the six-corner intersection to the residential ambiance of Fullerton Parkway.

 

Current Condition and/or Status: All of the buildings are currently occupied and in fair to good condition. In January, 2009, community residents participated in a city-funded study for this area and, in overwhelming numbers, voiced support for plans that would retain and adaptively re-use several of the buildings. 66% in the study voted they would like to see the White Elephant and Annex buildings (2380 and 2365 N. Lincoln) preserved and 82% voted they would like to see the Nellie Black (700 W. Fullerton) and Martha Wilson (701 W. Fullerton) buildings preserved.

 

Potential Threat: CMH plans to sell a majority of its real estate holdings, including these buildings, after its 2012 relocation to the Streeterville neighborhood. While several of the buildings have been identified in the city’s and state’s architectural surveys, none are protected by landmark designation, leaving them susceptible to demolition as part of potential redevelopment sites.

 

What You Can Do: Contact Alderman Vi Daley (43rd ward) and inform her that you believe these buildings should be marketed for renovation and adaptive re-use and urge her to request that the city should evaluate the buildings for potential designation as individual landmarks or as a landmark district.

Other Contacts:

Photos: 1 2365 N. Lincoln; 2 2380 N. Lincoln, 2358-2365 N. Lincoln; 3 2380 N. Lincoln; 4 2358-2364 N. Lincoln; 5 701 W. Fullerton; 6 700 W. Fullerton

 

 
     

 

 

 

Landmarks Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604 
tel. 312-922-1742 
fax 312-922-8112

 

 

home              top              help              sitemap              donate             membership              email us  

 

 

© 2010 Landmarks Illinois. All rights reserved. In addition to the copyright to this collective work, copyright to the materials which appear on this site may be held by the individual authors or others. Landmarks Illinois is a
tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1971 and is the state's leading voice for historic preservation.